Thursday 16 March 2017

Mad Love for Black and White Rainbows

I have a confession to make. I had always heard of Bush - of course, I grew up in the nineties - but back then, I was all about the cheesy music. While I was singing along to the Backstreet Boys and learning Steps' latest dance routine, I didn't realise what I was missing out on.

Fast forward to the present. Well, last December, to be more specific. I'm working on a project that involves me looking deeper into the nineties music scene, and I stumbled across a few tracks by Bush. I started listening. I loved their music.

Fast forward again to an average Saturday night watching TV - when I heard Mad Love for the first time. That was enough to sell Black and White Rainbows to me. Since then I have been listening to the album from the time I get up until the time I go to bed. When I have to stop listening to do other things, I have one of the songs from the album in my head. Just in case you were curious, today, I wandered around the supermarket singing Sky Turns Day Glo to myself. :p

This is not going to be your average music review - that's not really what I do. I can't talk to you about what is technically brilliant, or speak with any great authority about how this album compares to previous albums, because my knowledge is not strong enough. 

But what I can tell you is this. I haven't been gripped by an album this way in years. In fact, I don't think I have been this gripped by an album ever. And I listen to a LOT of music.

I wish I could explain what the hell it is about this album that makes me want to get shit done... but maybe that's a mark of how damn good it is. It's rendered me incapable of finding the right words. All I can tell you is that it's crawled under my skin and awoken something inside me that has been sleeping for WAY too long.

If there is only one album you check out this year - for the love of God - let it be Black and White Rainbows.

2 comments:

  1. You have me convinced. I'm seeing if it's on Spotify now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Clare - It's bloody epic! And yes, it is on Spotify! I have actually bought the CD - I haven't bought a CD in YEARS!

    ReplyDelete