Tuesday 20 May 2014

Album Review: Heads Or Tails by Kieron Cox

Every now and again, I will get followed on Twitter by a kickass musician. Most recently, I was followed by a young man named Kieron Cox. Kieron currently lives in Berkshire, but travels around the UK for gigs - you can check out his gig dates here.

Kieron very kindly provided me a copy of his album Head Or Tails, and I must say, it's pretty impressive!

I'd like to start with a quick note about the tone of Kieron Cox's voice. The first thing I did when he followed me was check out his YouTube videos, and I was instantly smitten with his sound. It's smooth, but there is a gorgeous hint of gravelly-ness (yes I know that's not a word :p) which makes his voice stand out from all the other musicians out there who are trying to make it big. These days, a unique voice is more than half the battle, and on that front, Kieron has got it made.

Now, onto the album.

There are twelve tracks on Heads Or Tails, and there's not really a dud amongst them. Most albums do have a track or two that have me reaching for the "skip" button, but I love every single song on this one.

By far, my favourite track is Half As Much, a beautiful ballad about hoping to mean something to that special person. It wouldn't be out of place on a Savage Garden album - it has those perfect lyrics that instantly target your inner romantic and make you go all sappy. I would even go as far as to say that Kieron Cox does sound a teensy bit like Darren Hayes.

Other notable ballads on the album include The Moment, and I'll Be Waiting For You, but Kieron isn't a one-trick pony who filled Heads Or Tails with slushy boyband type tracks. Sure, love is a strong theme, but it's not all slow and mushy.

Will You be My Girl is a funky little number with a great beat, and the ridiculously catchy Win Some, Lose Some will have you singing along in no time.

Time Shoots Us Down, in my humble opinion, knocks the socks off the other tracks lyrically. Amongst all the other songs, this is the one that creeps into my head at random points during the day.

Overall, Heads Or Tails is an excellent debut album from a talented young man who has a bright future ahead of him!

You can find out more about Kieron on his website. Go listen right now!!


No comments:

Post a Comment